The Spinning Swirl Soap Challenge
I have been obsessing over my first soap challenge for weeks. This is my first "soap challenge", or competition, and the primary rule is that you must make the soap using a specific technique. In the end, it took three attempts to get to the soap I am proud to submit. Let's cut to the chase. Here is my soap! More on how I made the soap, and the prior two attempts after the colorful and swirly photos. Feel free to click on each photo for a larger version.
One of the best parts of this technique is that every bar of soap is different. I had a really tough time picking a favorite, or even a short list of favorites. So here are more...
and more...... there were 18 bars of soap in this batch. I scented them with rosemary, lemon and orange essential oils.
and last but not least...
I love them all! Ok, now time for how this soap came to be. The technique involves pouring different colors of soap in layers and then spinning the mold to swirl the soap. This is best suited to a slab mold (but i do have plans to try this in my loaf mold).
Batch #1 was a total failure. The swirling worked but the soap was very crumbly after it set and therefore was not a good batch of soap. It was upsetting so I did not take any pictures of the falling apart soap (I re-batched it with another soap, so it was not a total bust). There are a few reasons why this can happen and I really am not sure which it was so I moved on to batch #2.
This soap is a series of orange, yellow and red colors with some charcoal for contrast and was scented with blood orange essential oil.
Note for the soap challenge judges: The photos below are not part of my official submission and are just part of the blog post of my experience.
This batch was much more successful than batch #1 and I could have called it a day. But, this swirling and spinning is just too fun so I tried again. Here are my soap babies from batch #2.
On to batch #3. I used the same recipe in as batch #2 (the suggested recipe for the challenge, after batch #1, I was humbled and took the sage advice I was given). The only differences were the colors and the essential oils used. I was a little panicked after I was done pouring the soap into the mold as it looked like it was starting to set (it was fine) so I did not stop to take a photo. Below is a picture of the soap post spinning.
The best part of this challenge without a doubt is that I tried a new technique that I may not have tried on my own, fell in love, and now have a new way to make fantastic looking soaps. I can't wait to see the beautiful soaps that everyone else participating in the challenge made. Wish me luck! I would love to win some free loot.