My Top 5 Podcasts of 2017
My love of podcasts started several years ago with Serial. While I had listened to a few before, it was the first podcast where I binge-listened and became completely engrossed in the story. It is a podcast unlike most - it actually spawned spinoff podcasts (Undisclosed and Truth & Justice) to continue the story. Serial is a short run series - similar to how a TV show is broken into a set of episodes that comprise a season. So when its done, you have to wait until a new season is produced & released. Many podcasts are like this, however, some are more like the news and drop episodes on a regular basis (daily, weekly, monthly). Here are my fave podcasts from this past year - not in rank order because they are so different in the info & value they provide.
- S-town. This is a plot twisty, character-driven podcast that is formatted like Serial (a bunch of episodes in a season and then its done). It starts out one set of intentions and then changes - I don't want to ruin it, but it is one of the podcasts that I binged through.
- The Daily. This is my morning news. Published the NY Times, I get my 20 minutes of news to listen to on my way to work or on my morning walk. After so many years of reading news, it is nice to have a different format because of the audio. I think it is very well produced and I feel like it is fairly objective. It is a blend of very current events & in-depth stories.
- Fat Mascara. I recently discovered this pod in the fall of 2017, and I love it. I own a skincare business so I am very interested in the topic, but the two women behind the podcast are so entertaining that I think most women would find it engaging & interesting. The pod team of two women both work as beauty mag editors. I love the glimpses into that part of the media world. As a former NY-er now living in the south, I also get my dose of NY accents & nostalgia.
- How I Built This: Each episode is about the founding of a different company and the stories are fascinating. At this point there a lot of stories in the archive so you can pick and choose the companies / industries that interest you.
- Serial Season 2: Completely unrelated to season 1 (Other than the same team of producers), this season is about Bowe Bergdahl. He is a US soldier who went AWOL from his base in Afghanistan years ago and was eventually traded for Taliban soldiers. I knew very little about this case prior the podcast, and while the story is sad and upsetting, it is well worth the listen.
I am always looking for new podcasts, so if you have any to recommend, please share in the comments.